Cooling Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is powerful and can be used in a variety of ways. A fast-acting analgesic, it feels icy/hot when rubbed into the skin. That’s Peppermint at work, aiding in circulation and reducing inflammation and pain. It also works to “open” the lungs and sinuses for easier breathing. Caution, Peppermint essential oil is very strong and a gradual increase in amount and frequency of use is recommended.
- Topical treatments – Use to refresh and energize, treat headaches, soothe tense muscles, cool hot flashes, relieve nausea, and open lungs for deeper breathing during workouts and yoga sessions.
- For Pain – Apply small amount directly on affected areas and allow oil to penetrate for 5 -10 minutes for maximum effectiveness. Areas should feel icy/hot. Do not apply on broken skin.
- Deep Inhalation – to Refresh and Energize! – Add 3-5 drops on tissue or cloth and take five deep breaths, as needed. For a more intense inhalation: Rub 2-3 drops in palms of hands. Cup hands near nose and slowly take 5 deep breaths. Vigorously rub excess oil on shoulders, neck, and head. Avoid eye contact.
- Headaches – Apply 1-3 drops undiluted or in a pump of lotion to back of head and neck, shoulders, and up into scalp.
- Cool Hot flashes – Add 2-3 drops to a palm full of lotion. Rub on chest, back and sides of body to cool body down rapidly.
- Upset stomach – Take one drop of peppermint internally to soothe the tummy. Add a drop to peppermint tea.
- Pre-workout – Rub on legs with lotion for a soothing sensation during workout, run, and yoga session.
- Post-workout – Apply to sore muscles and joints during post-workout stretching for long-lasting effects. Peppermint helps improve blood circulation, reduce inflammation, and speed recovery.
How Does It Work
- Analgesic – Reduces pain
- Antiseptic – Inhibits the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria or fungi
- Anti-rheumatic – Helps ease arthritic symptoms
- Antispasmodic – Helps reduce muscular spasms and cramps
- Antineuralgic – Helps soothe nerve pain
- Astringent – Contracts, firms and strengthens skin and other tissues and reduces secretions
- Carminative – Promotes digestion and peristalsis; assists in expulsion of intestinal gas.
- Circulatory tonic – Promotes healthy vascular integrity and circulation
- Decongestant – Relieves mucus congestion
- Nervine – Stimulates the nervous system
- Vein Tonic – Increases circulation, reduces swelling, and treats discoloration associated with varicose veins
Ingredients & Sourcing
100% Pure Therapeutic Peppermint oil from France
Botanical name: Mentha x piperita
Source: SA Plantes Aromatics du Diois (SAPAD) 100% organic Located in Provence, France
All Melissa’s Botanicals products are GRAS – Generally regarded as safe.
Feels Icy/ Hot – If swelling, redness or irritation occurs, discontinue use. Use Olive oil to remove from Skin. For sensitive skin, apply 1 drop of essential oil on inner arm and monitor for 24 hours. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. Use with caution while pregnant or nursing. Do not use on open cuts. Dilute to 10% in lotion for children under 12. Peppermint can be taken internally, but only drop by drop.
Keep a small bottle in your pocket or purse for instant fresh breath! Just put a drop on the back of your hand and lick it. Each Altoid has a drop of Peppermint essential oil in it, but this is much more economical and organic.