In Europe, Helichrysum has been the subject of research for its effects on certain skin ailments, scar reduction, nerve regeneration, and inflammation. The oil is marketed as a virtual anti-aging miracle in France, where it’s known as a “Fountain of Youth” in a bottle.
Helichrysum is to Aromatherapy what Arnica is to Herbalism. Put more simply, Helichrysum is a must have for physical trauma, first aid, swelling and scars.
Helichrysum’s tremendous regenerative properties help heal sprains, strains, sore tendons, muscle aches, and bruises.
- General analgesic – Apply 2-3 drops where pain is located. For stronger relief, mix with 2-3 drops of Peppermint essential oil to help with nagging neck and back pain, TMJ symptoms, arthritic pain, peripheral neuropathy, and even restless leg syndrome. Add 5 drops Helichrysum to 10 drops Peppermint for an area as large as a forearm. Massage and let essential oils penetrate skin for 2-3 minutes. Also recommend mixing with Melissa’s Botanicals P*!N Remedy for all of the above. Follow-up with lotion, if desired.
- Burns – Apply a thin layer of equal parts helichrysum and lavender undiluted to burn site as soon as possible for immediate relief. For ongoing wound maintenance, use often. Helps reduce and stop scarring.
- Inflammation – For impact injuries such as sprains, strains, and broken bones, apply undiluted immediately to prevent initial swelling. Use enough to cover the affected area in a thin layer (often only a few drops). Repeat every 30 minutes, as necessary. Helichrysum can also be mixed with Blue Chamomile essential oil and Lavender for further anti-inflammatory effects.
- Scar treatment and prevention – For maximum benefit, use a mixture of 3 drops each Lavender and 3 drops Helichrysum and rub on scar area or scab. (Wait until scab forms to start applying). Continue use until scar is healed and there are no signs of skin damage. This does not work on scars that are more than a year old. Massage deeply to break up scar tissue on entire area.
- Anti-aging – Pat 5 drops on face and neck twice a day to clean skin. Wait 2 minutes for Helichrysum to penetrate, then add moisturizer. Add Lavender Reserve for maximum bennifits.
Helichysum and Lavender reduce large pours, fine lines, wrinkles, redness and acne. Most importantly, it restores underlying tissue for a more youthful glow and appearance and must be used regularly for best results. Both Lavender and Helichrysum help break down damaged cells and rebuild healthy tissue.
- Tinnitus – Apply 1 drop behind the ear. Apply a second drop to a cotton ball and place in ear before sleep.
How Does It Work
- Analgesic – Reduces pain
- Anti- inflammatory – Reduces swelling, redness, and inflammation
- Astringent – Strengthens skin and other tissue. Reduces secretions
- Regulation – Helps balance and normalize bodily functions
- Vulnerary – Protects and promotes skin healing and cell regeneration
Ingredients & Sourcing
100% Pure therapeutic Helichrysum from Corsica
Botanical name: Helicrysum italicum
Source: SA Plantes Aromatics du Diois (SAPAD) 100% organic Located in Provence, France
All Melissa’s Botanicals products are GRAS – Generally regarded as safe.
If swelling, redness or irritation occurs, discontinue use. Use Olive oil to remove from Skin. If you have sensitive skin, try 1 drop of essential oil on the inner arm and monitor effects for 24 hours. Keep out of reach of children. Keep away from eyes. Use with caution while pregnant or nursing.
Of the more than 500 different species of Helichrysum, Helichrysum italicum is the only one used therapeutically in French Medical Aromatherapy. The finest Helichrysum italicum is produced in Corsica, harvested fresh at 5am for critical bloom. Distilled for 1.5 hour to capture its peak constituents. While the market is flooded with Helichrysum sourced from Croatia and Ukraine, the chemical make-up of these oils is distinctly different (see below), and so is the aroma. Corsica’s serotinum variety, however, contains the highest levels of Neryl Acetate and di-ketones, both compounds known for their exceptional healing properties. When it comes to finding the best Helichrysum essential oil, look to Melissa’s Botanicals Corsican Helichrysum and nowhere else.
Two most important constituents for healing are the Neryl acetate content and the diketone called Italidone.
- Neryl acetate – 25-40%
- diketone – Italidione – 8-10%
- Neryl acetate – 6-12%
- diketone – Italidione – 6-8%